Klinkenberg, J.Ch.K. | Oostpoort (East Gate) in Delft

Johannes Christiaan Karel Klinkenberg

1852 – The Hague – 1924

Oostpoort (East Gate) in Delft

Oil on panel  25 x 17.8 cm

Signed lower right


The Cooling Galleries, London/Toronto


The East Gate (Oostpoort)  is the only surviving city gate of Delft. The city walls of Delft, with their eight city gates, were originally built around the year 1400. The city gates were the only way into Delft, and provided an excellent defence against hostile attack. Because of the high city walls, city gates, and canals, Willem of Orange decided to make Delft his headquarters in 1572. The East Gate consists of a gate and a bridge that are connected to each other by the last remaining piece of the city walls of Delft.


More information about the painter Johannes Christiaan Karel Klinkenberg

Additional information


Oil paintings


Cityscape, Topography, Water