Cornelis Springer | Paderborn, gezicht op het raadhuis | Kunsthandel Bies

Springer, C. | Paderborn, view of the town hall

Cornelis Springer

Amsterdam 1817 – 1891 Hilversum


Paderborn, view of the town hall

Oil on panel  78.8 x 62.7 cm

Signed and dated 1877 lower right, signed with monogram and ‘Paderborn’ lower right (on a crate)
Verso: certificate of authenticity by the artist dated 3 September 1877

 

Provenance
H. Koekkoek Jr. London (directly acquired from the artist for Dfl. 1.500,-)
Sale Ledeboer, Rotterdam, 25 June 1891, lot 197
Sale Biesing, The Hague, 6 May 1908, lot 389

Exhibitions
Amsterdam, Tentoonstelling van Levende Meesters, 1877, no. 500

Literature
W. Laanstra, H.C. de Bruijn, J.H.A. Ringeling, Cornelis Springer (1817-1891), Utrecht 1984, p. 194, cat.no. 77-4


.

During his study trips Springer often followed routes along the rivers Rhine and Moselle, as many artists then did. He made many sketches of the cities he passed through, which he would first work out when he was back home. Later he would include those images, entirely or partly, in an oil painting. Springer has immortalised many German town in paintings: Halberstadt, Bremen, Braunschweig, Münster, Goslar, Lübeck and Paderborn are but a few examples. The German paintings were not exclusively meant for the German market. Springer exhibited and sold these works in the Netherlands and Belgium as well. After this view of Paderborn had been at the Exhibition of Living Masters in Amsterdam, it was bought by the painter Hermanus Koekkoek Jr. for Dfl. 1500,-. This was a large amount in those times, comparable to about € 15.000,- right now. From around 1860, when Springer began selling his paintings for higher amounts, he provided his works with a certificate of authenticity with a wax seal on the backside, usually written in Dutch or French.

This painting is a view of Paderborn. Paderborn, located in North Rhine-Westphalia, is an old diocese and a Hanseatic city, where Charlemagne once resided. The beautiful 17th century town hall at the Marienplatz, which is depicted on the painting, was built in the style of the Weser Rennaissance. The facade contains three gables, the two smaller ones on the sides of the building protrude from the front. There are two open vestibules that used to serve as courtrooms. The town hall was destroyed in 1945, but rebuilt afterwards.

 

More information about the painter Cornelis Springer

 

Category:

Additional Information

Materiaal/Material

Oil paintings

Stroming/Movement

Romantic School

Onderwerp/Subject

Cityscape, Topography

By continuing to use the Site, you agree to the use of cookies. More information

De cookie-instellingen op deze website zijn ingesteld op 'toestaan cookies "om u de beste surfervaring mogelijk. Als u doorgaat met deze website te gebruiken zonder het wijzigen van uw cookie-instellingen of u klikt op "Accepteren" hieronder dan bent u akkoord met deze instellingen.

Sluiten